Chevron - AERA
East-West Aboveground Flowlines
- A Technical Work Plan and site assessment have been prepared
for the Chevron - AERA flowline remediation project.
- The workplan and site assessment were deemed necessary following
the discovery of two areas of soil contamination. One area exists
near the bank of Alcatraz Creek and the other area exists on the
- The workplan and site assessment will be used to characterize
the lateral and vertical extent of contamination at these two
- Chevron-Aera has requested to delay
remediation and revegetation efforts
until the abandonment of the Gaviota
Terminal facility takes place.
This site once housed flowlines serviced gas wells in the Molino
field. The flowlines were removed in 2000 and site cleanup and
restoration is ongoing.
The Chevron - AERA Flow Lines are located approximately 28 miles
west of Santa Barbara at Gaviota.
Chevron - AERA Flowline Corridors
The Chevron - AERA flow line segments are divided into five distinct
- North-South Flow Line Corridor
- Located partially within ARCO's onshore processing facility
- Extends south through culverts under U.S. 101 and the facility's
internal access road and south along Alcatraz Creek
- East-West Flow Line Corridor
- Located on the coastal bluff south of, and parallel to,
the Union Pacific railroad tracks
- East-Slope Flow Line Corridor
- Extends from the western end of the East-West Flow Line
Corridor in a westerly direction down a slope to Alcatraz
- Forebay Flow Line Corridor
- Connects the East-Slope Flow Line Corridor to the Near
Shore Flow Line Corridor Area at the ocean
- Near Shore Flow Line Corridor
- Connects the forebay area at the beach to platforms offshore
- Since 1896, the current site of the Gaviota Terminal
was used as crude
oil storage and processing facility.
- In 1904, the site was used for an oil refinery to handle crude
oil from the newly discovered Santa Maria fields.
- In 1950, the Gaviota Marine Terminal was constructed.
- Between the 1960-70s, the site was used as a petroleum area
and transportation route for offshore oil and gas wells in combination
with the Marine Terminal.
- The Chevron - AERA flow lines were constructed in 1963 within
the Gaviota Pipeline Terminal. The flow lines were utilized to
transport gas and service subsea wells offshore of the Gaviota
Pipeline Terminal site (State oil and gas leases PRC 2199 and
- Chevron - AERA offshore wells were permanently abandoned
between June 1997 and 1998 as part of the Subsea Well Abandonment
and Rig Sharing Program (SWARS). Removal of the offshore flow
lines (from the 15' mean sea level to mean high tide line) was
completed during the first quarter of 1999. The flow lines section
from the 15' mean sea level out to abandoned well heads were abandoned
- September 23, 1997- application filed by Chevron - AERA to
abandon onshore gas flow lines associated with sub-sea wells.
- October 13, 1999- Planning Commission approved the removal
of 1700 feet of flow line.
- During the summer of 2000, the Chevron - AERA gas flow lines